Data Platform Engineer
Improving road safety, in conjunction with mobility, safety in the community and, now, healthcare as well. Those are the aims of Vias institute as a major Belgian knowledge centre.
Vias institute has a dynamic and multidisciplinary team that focuses on conducting research, providing advice and developing innovative applications. To achieve its aims, Vias works closely with other research institutions, the public, policymakers and companies, both at home and abroad.
Tasks and responsibilities
Vias institute’s Data Solutions team works towards scalable data applications that can be integrated as cloud services within our customers’ operational flows. We integrate different kinds of data sources, from our own applications, open portals or our partners and we process them to new insights using modern algorithms.
As a data platform engineer, you bare responsibility for developing and maintaining the VIAS big data cloud platform. You develop high performance pipelines that integrate the big data stack with different analytical services, both for internal and external customers. Together with data scientists you implement machine learning use cases.
- You have a degree in informatics, a masters degree in industrial engineering or equivalent based on experience.
- You are an experienced developer in Java or another general-purpose object-oriented / functional programming language.
- Experience in one of the following technologies is a plus: Apache Spark, Scala, Python, R.
- Experience in Cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure or GCP is a plus
- You have general knowledge of data pipelines, ETL-processes, SQL/no-SQL database systems, big-data storage/processing technologies and agile software development.
- Knowledge of web services and REST is a plus
- Knowledge of Linux & bash programming is plus
- You are ready to dive into the above mentioned new technologies through internal training and self study
- You are customer oriented en a real team player
Vias offers varied work as part of a professional, forward-looking organisation. The salary package we are offering is in line with the market and includes numerous fringe benefits.